Mesh Maker Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 06:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Latest addition to the collection: Prefab Maker
Forum Stats
168 Posts in 60 Topics by 75 Members
Latest Member: ozary
Home Help Search Login Register
Mesh Maker Forum  |  MeshMaker  |  Support  |  Splitting and Saving meshes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Splitting and Saving meshes  (Read 1835 times)
ecco

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »

I just purchased Mesh Maker and am having a lot of difficulty.

Primarily:
I can't split a mesh.
I’m following the instructions but I’m using a track pad on the mac and I’m not sure what to do when I’m asked to:
“Hold the left alt key down and right click on the mesh to split”
I can get as close as selecting and transforming individual meshes ( only vertical and horizontal using the transform tool ), but that's the end of it.
The only way I'm able to do that is to use the mesh editor and lock onto the asset ( but there's no mention of that in the tutorial ).

Transforming Textures in the Mesh Tools also appears to do nothing.

I can't paint on a mesh.  ( the hotkey does nothing it seems )

I can't save as an obj ( using editor only saves as an asset or a prefab).

Certainly you have the downloadable pdfs but is there other documentation I could be directed to?

This is just a start but I'm hoping I'm doing something simply wrong initially otherwise I feel that half the MeshMaker apps don't work.

Fantastically promising but enormously frustrating!
Eric
bo.artist@gmail.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »

I have also experienced odd functionality - somethings work great - other not so much. the prefab maker hangs on creating textures - I also have the exact difficulties you listed. I get crashes particularly on mesh bool actions. to be fair what works is solid - making meshes doublesided is a god send and almost always is successful with meshes with less than 30k triangles. UV displacement works in the "Mesh Editor" but is finicky. But being able to scale and rotate textures in Unity is an overlooked feature that should eb standard. - simple vertex, edge, triangle,  editing and straightening stretching is useful and works fine.

Theres lots of other things that work fine sculpting, geom, ect - but yeah mesh tools texture issues could be fixed and bools are buggy.
MediaGiant
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »

Hello ecco & bo,

Thanks for your comments and letting me know of your difficulties. I will try to answer these in separate sections.

Splitting a mesh:
I would recommend using Mesh Cutter or Mesh Editor for splitting a mesh as they are far newer and reliable than the Mesh Tools feature.

Boolean Ops:
This program works with simple meshes but has a lot of issues with anything more complicated. I will be rewriting this program in full this year.

Saving to OBJ:
From the Unity menu you can go to Window/Mesh Maker/Tools to find three methods of exporting to an OBJ file.

Painting:
Mesh Painter only works on meshes that have a mesh collider attached but if that isn't the problem then I would suggest setting a new hotkey. I'm not exactly sure but if the command key on the Mac doesn't work you can try the Tab key or another.

Texture Transform:
I haven't experienced a problem with the Mesh Tools texture transforms but I would also recommend that you use the same feature from within Mesh Editor as it much newer.

Prefab Maker:
Creating the textures can take a very long time if you are working with a large number of objects and different textures. The progress bar may also appear to stop but I would recommend waiting longer. Also it appears to not handle objects that already have a texture atlas or light maps. This will be fixed in the next update.

I'm close to releasing the next update for Mesh Editor which adds edge splitting, individual UV transformations, hole filling, edge bridging, new primitives and a lot more to the program.

-Al

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea